Organization: FLAT Journal
FLAT Journal is currently accepting submissions for Issue 0.2: Touch that specifically, broadly, or abstractly address the theme of “Touch.”
We are living with the unmistakably eerie feeling that perception has been broken down for parts and recombined into something else. Something built for and by blue-light screens, tiny monophonic speakers, and just enough tactility to find the right key to press or swipe on a glass screen.
For this year’s issue, we are looking for co-conspirators (despite the dangers of breathing together) to rebuild our understanding of touch and its necessity to perception, bodies, and being in the world.
FLAT journal uses a rolling submission process. FLAT looks for works relating to the intersection of visual and conceptual art, technology, and/or media.
Your work will be reviewed by our 2021 editorial board for consideration. If your work is chosen for this issue, your content will be included in this year’s online publication, at the designers’ discretion.
The following types of new, ongoing, or previously published works are welcome:
- Theory/criticism / scholarly research in writing or writing with images
- Reviews of artworks, software, films, television, or other media
- Fiction, poetry, sound
- Photo essays, photography, digital images
- Illustrations, animations, videos
- Instruction based works, software, interactive media
You may submit up to three works. Past publication or experience is not required. Other content types may be accepted. If you have specific requirements to make your work viewable in the ideal fashion, please let us know, we can work with you collaboratively, especially for interactive or complex media types.
How to Apply
- Abstract (100 – 500 words)
- Full plain text document (.rtf, .doc, .html, or google doc are preferred)
- Artist’s or Author’s short bio
- Links to author’s site or other published relevant works
- Any useful supporting images/media
- Images should be jpg, 1200px on one side (if your work is chosen, we will request high-resolution images at 3000px)
- For videos or interactive media, please provide a link that does not expire such as Vimeo, Youtube, Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, or Box. (Please note that we review applications towards the end of the open call timeline. WeTransfer and Firefox Send links tend to expire before our editors review them. If we cannot access the link, we may not be able to successfully review your submission).
- Alt-text descriptions of any visual media
Learn more about our call: https://flatjournal.com/cfp/
Submit your application here: https://airtable.com/shrWZ3NPagsclsOYm