2023 MPCA Indigenous Studies Area CFP
DePaul Center, 1 E. Jackson Blvd. Chicago, IL
Organization: Midwest Popular Culture Association
The Indigenous Studies area of the Midwest Popular Culture Association/Midwest American Culture Association is now accepting proposals for its 2023 conference in Chicago. We welcome proposals related to new media projects that feature Indigenous identity, questions of representation in the media, and works by Indigenous creators. Suggested topics for paper or panel proposals include, but are not limited to:
- Filmwork and art by Indigenous creators, such as Sky Hopinka’s Kicking Clouds (2021), Reservation Dogs (2021-2022), or Sundance International Film Festival’s Indigenous Shorts Tour
- Indigenous media practices and Indigenous media industries
- Indigenous theory and critique, and pedagogy
- Indigenous (Indian Country) newspapers, podcasts, websites, blogs, and social media
- Language sovereignty and survivance, especially considering the United Nations Decade of Indigenous Languages (2022-2032)
- Globalized representations of Pan-Indian identity in film, TV, video games, and other media
News media coverage of Indigenous issues such as boarding schools in Canada and the US, or Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women (MMIW)
- Realizations of Indigenous oral stories and prophecy across generational boundaries as shown in media, social media, or other spaces of discourse
- Settler-colonial practices in media, and decolonial/anticolonial critique and intervention
- Indigenous work and representation in settler-colonial media industries, as well as reception in settler-colonial dominated audiences
- Global perspectives, teachings, and theories of Indigeneity
- Health communication in/of/by Indigenous groups and individuals, such as global flows of natural medicine and health perspectives including Ayurveda, shamanism, and spirituality
Please upload 250 word abstract proposals to the Indigenous Studies Subject Area on the Submissions website at https://www.mpcaaca.org/submit-panels.
Individuals may only submit one paper. Do not submit the same paper to more than one Area.
Deadline for receipt of proposals is April 30, 2023.
If you have any questions about the Indigenous Studies Subject Area, please email Kendall Belopavlovich @ firstname.lastname@example.org and Sumitra Srinivasan @ Sumitra.Srinivasan@utoledo.edu.
For more information on the 2023 conference, please visit https://www.mpcaaca.org/2023-mpca-aca-annual-conference.
Midwest Popular Culture Association/Midwest American Culture Association Annual Conference: Indigenous Studies
Friday-Sunday, 6-8, October 2023
DePaul University, Chicago, IL
Address: DePaul Center, 1 E. Jackson Blvd. Chicago, IL 60604 Phone: (312) 362-8000