Albuquerque, NM USA
Organization: Southwest Popular & American Culture Association
Event: Annual Conference
45th Annual Conference, February 21-24, 2024
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Submissions open on September 1, 2023
Proposal submission deadline: October 31, 2023
Proposals for papers and panels are now being accepted for the 45th annual SWPACA conference. One of the nation’s largest interdisciplinary academic conferences, SWPACA offers nearly 70 subject areas, each typically featuring multiple panels. For a full list of subject areas, area descriptions, and Area Chairs, please visit http://southwestpca.org/conference/call-for-papers/
We encourage and welcome all topics involving pedagogy and/or curriculum development, including roundtables, special sessions and papers/panels. Some suggestions are listed below:
- Combining unusual disciplines in Writing Across the Curriculum courses
- Applying current technologies such as Chat GPT to better integrate multimodal learning.
- Discussing the benefits and challenges of online teaching; best practice presentations are gleefully welcome
- Integrating popular television, films, novels, graphic novels, or music for meaningful classroom lesson planning
- Teaching games and game theory
- Utilizing online communication tools, including social networking, blogs/vlogs and learning management systems
- Teaching with podcasts and videocasts
- Editing family letters and/or journals in student projects
- Promoting active learning by co-opting structures typically associated with webpages
- Integrating service learning with traditional curricula
- Constructing student projects as museum exhibits
- Challenging standard pedagogical assumptions
All proposals must be submitted through the conference’s database at http://register.southwestpca.org/southwestpca
For details on using the submission database and on the application process in general, please see the Proposal Submission FAQs and Tips page at http://southwestpca.org/conference/faqs-and-tips/
Individual proposals for 15-minute papers must include an abstract of approximately 200-500 words. Including a brief bio in the body of the proposal form is encouraged, but not required.
For information on how to submit a proposal for a roundtable or a multi-paper panel, please view the above FAQs and Tips page.
The deadline for submissions is October 31, 2023.
SWPACA offers monetary awards for the best graduate student papers in a variety of categories. Submissions of accepted, full papers are due January 1, 2024. SWPACA also offers travel fellowships for undergraduate and graduate students. For more information, visit http://southwestpca.org/conference/graduate-student-awards/
Registration and travel information for the conference will be available at http://southwestpca.org/conference/conference-registration-information/
For 2024, we are excited to be returning to the Marriott Albuquerque (2101 Louisiana Blvd NE, Albuquerque, NM 87110), which boasts free parking and close proximity to dining, shopping, and other delights.
In addition, please check out the organization’s peer-reviewed, scholarly journal, Dialogue: The Interdisciplinary Journal of Popular Culture and Pedagogy, at http://journaldialogue.org/
If you have any questions about the Pedagogy & Popular Culture area, please contact Kurt Depner (Emeritus Professor, New Mexico State University) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have general questions about the conference, please contact us at email@example.com, and a member of the executive team will get back to you.
This will be a fully in-person conference. If you’re looking for an online option to present your work, keep an eye out for details about the 2024 SWPACA Summer Salon, a completely virtual conference to take place in June 2024. However, do keep in mind that the Summer Salon is a smaller conference with limited presentation slots and no student funding assistance.
We look forward to receiving your submissions!